Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Freshman Lecture...

When I first walked into the freshman lecture, being as though this was the first one I have attended I was not as attentive as I should have been of the information that he was providing us with. However, I was able to zone into a point I thought as being interesting the questions of art, what is it, why there is no proper way to give a grade to art, and why artist don’t taken bubbled in test. Often iam asked the same questions he spoke about, of how do I get graded for art. There is no rubric and there is not set formula you must go by, but the way you convey your message and the craftsmanship determine it all. Even though to me art is done with a set of guidelines and formulas, such as your emotions how your marks reveal that and the way you compose your piece it is not stated that every time a piece is done it must be done a specific way, abstract or representational. Bringing me to the second question that he talked about why artist don’t have bubbled test. How do you test a whole class on their work when the emotion, fantasy, or messages in the pieces are not all the same? Unlike math, English and Science, Art cannot be depicted on yes and no or right and wrong answers, because who are you to tell someone their emotions are the wrong answer.
In just a few moments he answered questions that I never had the correct wording to inform someone of why Art was so much different than any other course. Now I am able to speak about the difference with more the typical response of because we’re unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment